Veterinary Feed Directive Update

Starting January 1, 2017, producers that feed medicated feed to their cattle will be required to have a Veterinary Feed Directive (VFD), as directed by the FDA.

By definition, a Veterinary Feed Directive (VFD) is a written statement that authorizes the owner or caretaker of animals to obtain and use animal feed containing VFD drugs to treat their animals in accordance with the FDA-approved directions for use. VFD’s can only be issued by a state licensed veterinarian.

The VFD affects only shared class antibiotics, which are antibiotics that are used in both humans and animals. See the back side of this page for a list of Tend-R-Leen feeds that require a VFD. Antibiotics that are not shared class can still be fed to enhance growth and improve feed efficiency and do not require a VFD.

A VFD drug is intended for use in animal feeds, and such use of the VFD drug is permitted only under the professional supervision of a licensed veterinarian.

Veterinarian relationship
The most important part of the VFD is to have a good working relationship with your veterinarian. In order for vets to feel comfortable issuing VFD’s, they need to have a sound understanding of your operation, the number of cattle you have, and your health and management practices. If you do not currently have a regular vet, we strongly suggest that you seek out a veterinarian now and have them come do a walk-through of your operation. It would be helpful to have a list of your treatment protocols and management practices to share with the vet. This way you can establish a relationship with them before the VFD directive goes into affect January 1st.

Products that require VFD’s
The following Tend-R-Leen and Doboy products will require a VFD in order to be fed.


  • Code 529 Tend-R-Leen PE (Tylan)
  • Code 536 TRL Ultra Finisher (Tylan)
  • Code 1375 TRL Beef w/ Tylan & Rumensin
  • Code 3375 TRL Beef w/ Bovatec & Oxytet

Medicated feeds

  • 326 TRL Stress Conc. AS700
  • 395 Doboy 4 Gm Chlortetatracycline
  • 396 TRL 10 Gm Terramycin
  • 566 TRL AS700, 4 Gm

Milk Replacer

  • 322 Doboy Calf Pow-R TNT

Your veterinarian will issue your operation a VFD for the drug you will be feeding (i.e. Tylan), not the feed itself.

VFD dates & expirations
The Veterinary Feed Directive Update goes into effect on January 1st, 2017. If you purchased product before that date, but have it stored on your farm, you will still need a VFD. You can have your farm’s VFD in place before the directive goes into effect. It is recommended that you contact your veterinarian in the next several months to prepare your VFD and have it in place before year’s end.

VFD’s expire in 6 months (with the exception of Pulmotil, which is 45 days), so you will need to have your VFD renewed twice per year. Contact your veterinarian to have your VFD renewed.

When determining the number of animals you will need the medicated feed for, estimate the number of cattle you will have during the entire 6 month span. For example, in January you have 100 steers on feed, but plan to purchase a group of 50 feeder calves in March. You should plan the VFD to include the cattle you plan to purchase as well as those already on feed, and estimate a little high to ensure that you will have all cattle covered.

The VFD is a three-ply, carbon copy form. One form is for your vet, one form is for your feed supplier, and one form is for you, which you must keep on file for two years. You will need to bring the feed supplier copy to your feed dealer in order to purchase any of the listed medicated feed products.

If you have questions, we can help you through this process. Contact your ANC or local Doboy Dealer for more information.